Friday, July 19, 2013

Favorite Shortems

The Rose that Grew from Concrete 

by Tupac Shakur

Did you hear about the rose that grew
from a crack in the concrete?
Proving nature's law is wrong it
learned to walk without having feet.
Funny it seems, but by keeping its dreams,
it learned to breathe fresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete
when no on else ever cared.

A Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

(untitled) by Frederick Peterson

The sweetest flower that blows,
I give you as we part.
For you it is a rose,
For me it is my heart.


You're Gone (author unknown)

How do I feel,
people ask.

How do I feel?

That's the problem.

I don't.

(untitled) by Ric Masten

put me in your human eye
come taste
the bitter tears
that i cry
touch me
with your human hand
hear me with your ear
but notice me
damn you
notice me
i'm here.

(untitled) by Javan

If you can just turn
and walk away
And feel there's nothing more
You need to say
And you do not feel a tearing
In your heart
If you can so easily
forget about me
And all the things
I tried to be
Then I guess there was really no
reason for you to stay

(untitled) by Langston Hughes

I loved my friend.

He went away from me.

There's nothing more to say.

The poem ends, 
soft as it began--

I loved my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment