Sunday, July 7, 2013

Must-See Concerts

I love concerts. Really. The loud music vibrating through to your soul...it's awesome. When I was a kid and  looked at footage of Beatles' concerts, I always wondered why the girls were crying. So silly and dramatic... But I get it now. Being at a concert just makes me feel everything on a grander scale; I feel so...alive! I'm looking forward to seeing these shows. And people--I need concert friends! Where are you?!

Outside Lands Festival ~ August 9-11

My first trip to San Francisco! So many amazing bands to see over the 3-day weekend: The National, Band of Horses, Daughter, NIN, The Head and the Heart, Matt & Kim, and Little Green Cars.
Update: Awesome-sauce! NIN gave one of the best concerts of the weekend (visually). THATH & LGC were my favorites though (emotionally-driven music). 

Neko Case ~ September 12

Tickets are $36 max. Good deal for such a cool artist. She's playing at the Orpheum with Pickwick & Jon Rauhouse.
Update: I couldn't make this show. :( Wanted to, but my two-week absence the preceding weeks didn't allow me the time or money. Instead, I saw Johnny Cupcakes at South Mountain Community College--for free after winning VIP tickets. JC was inspiring. Not so impressed with SMCC. You'd think with VIP tickets they'd at least be sure we got to shake the man's hand and move us to the front of the line for autographs. There were only 25 of us for Pete's sake!

OneRepublic ~ September 15

I'm loving the majority of their new album, Native. Tickets max-out at $60 and they're playing with Churchill and Sara Bareilles at Comerica.
Update: Uuuuuuuugh. REALLY wanted to see this band. LOVE their new album Native. Again, my two-week absence earlier this month required that I spend a weekend at home grading, and also guaranteed that I had no money outside of everyday living expenses. Sucks.

The Lumineers ~ October 1

Also playing at Comerica. Opening acts aren't any I know (Dr. Dog? Nathaniel Rateliff?) and tickets are about $50, but I missed The Lumineers when they were here last year.

The Avett Brothers ~ October 5

$35 for this concert at Mesa Amp. Love the song "I and Love and You".

City and Colour ~ October 11

My friend Erin introduced me to this band after we saw The Boxer Rebellion. New album, The Hurry and the Harm, is good stuff. Tickets are $30.

The Mowgli's ~ October 15

This band is my new favorite thing! I love every song on Waiting for the Dawn. Tickets are only $20 and it's at the Rialto in Tucson. Road trip!

Pearl Jam ~ November 19

I was supposed to see Pearl Jam this month 18 years ago...boy broke my heart and sold my ticket. I tried to win tickets to the July 19th show at Wrigley Field (!!!)...didn't happen. This show? GOING.
Update: Tickets purchased! Can't wait to see Eddie (*swoon* *I hope his hair grows out again by November*) and company with Becky and Jorge.




No comments:

Post a Comment