Sunday, August 4, 2013

Favorite Quotes

"Words can be so heavy." M. Zusak

One of my favorite books is I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (see Books That Made Me Cry). Beautifully written, heartbreaking and heartwarming. Words can make or break you.

"Everything affects everything." J. Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is another favorite. The central character of the book writes a letter to all those who influenced her suicide. While the story is a work of fiction, this quote is so true. Even the simplest words and actions can have a rippling effect.

"Happiness is only real, when shared." Into the Wild

Read any self-help book or talk to any therapist and they'll say "You need to make yourself happy first before you can be happy with anyone else." I think that's a bit misleading. True, you have to "find yourself" and figure out who you are, etc, etc, but can sheer happiness exist if you're not experiencing it with others?

"Let me tell you, I know you don't want to listen to your father, I didn't listen to mine, and I am telling you, you gotta pay attention this time. When life reaches out with a woman like this, it's a sin if you don't reach back; I'm telling you, it's a sin if you don't reach back! It'll haunt you the rest of your days like a curse. You're facing a big challenge in your life right now at this very moment, right here. That girl loves you; she really, really loves you. I don't know if Nikki ever did, but she sure as shit doesn't right now. So don't fuck this up." Pat Sr. to Pat Jr., Silver Linings Playbook

Sometimes you just need someone who loves you to tell you you're acting like an idiot. Great movie, great line.

"If you hear a song that makes you cry and you don't want to cry anymore, you don't listen to that song anymore. But you can't get away from yourself. You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head." J. Asher

Another brilliant line from Thirteen Reasons Why. It's actually not that brilliant; it's a commonsense way of explaining the hurt to someone who just doesn't "get it".

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

I have this quote posted in several places in my classroom. My kids love it because it reminds them they're all intelligent in their own right.

"It is a risk to love. What if it doesn't work out? Ah, but what if it does." Peter McWilliams

I discovered this quote after a breakup, and despite the hurt I felt, it reminded me that I was brave.

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly." Anonymous

This quote has a special meaning for me. I posted it shortly after meeting R. I had felt like the caterpillar for so long, and suddenly I was the butterfly.

"If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad." Lord Byron

I've poured my heart into a journal of some sort since the 7th grade.

"Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them." J. Picoult

It can be far easier to isolate one's self...but then "happiness is only real when shared".

"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." Tom Robbins

Yes, yes, yes, yes....

"If you have it [love], you don't need to have anything else, and if you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have." J. M. Barrie

Ain't it the truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment